Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Nuclear Conundrum

One earthquake and the axis shifted , the earth spun faster and the whole island moved!!! It is difficult to even imagine the scale of the disaster!!! When I close my eyes and think about it, I wonder, if this happens in India where would we be?? Surely in the ocean in a watery grave. If I knew to surf the waves or swim would I better off??? Never, the fury of the waves is so strong that there is no way we could beat it and come out alive!!!
Japan has and is a very disciplined and resilient demography. They rose from the nuclear ashes after the World War, and I am sure they would not have wanted this to happen to them again. It is great to see people, young and old, standing in queues to get their ration for the day!!! Patiently going through rubble to see if they can salvage any of their belongings!!!! After the wash off, what would remain is a mystery!!!
The nuclear blast is another thing they have to contend with. So in a drive to get technologically ahead, we have put ourselves at a great risk, haven't we??? So should we have a nuclear plant in Jaitapur ? some say it is earthquake prone, some say there is no risk!!! Would we risk limb and life, for a continuous supply of energy, so the rich can sit in AC comfort and surf the net and communicate with the world on their I Pads, while, I am sure ,the other half has not even seen a computer??? Is it ok if some other neighboring nation in its zeal for progress, makes the same nuclear plant, explodes it and passes on its cloud to us??? They enjoy the benefits, and we reap the rewards!!! A real conundrum!!!!

No comments: