Sunday, October 17, 2010

Julie and Shobha???

Watched Julie and Julia yesterday on HBO. Have it on my comp, but then watched the HBO version, just to avoid the guilt of watching a pirated version.
Amazing movie, it is full of delicious food, throughout all mostly done up in Paris. But what really got to me was that Julia tried to create all those recipes. It was fun watching some of the goof ups and reminded me of how I feel in the kitchen sometimes following new recipes. And sometimes struggling with old often cooked ones too. They don't always turn out the way they should, do they? Sometimes the cake is underbaked and some times they come out as hard as a granite slab. The kheer is always tricky and sometimes when at the last moment we add the sugar, the milk curdles and a blood curdling cry leaves my lips.
There have been times when I have got up in the middle of the night before guests were to come for lunch, wondering how the food is going to turn out!!!
Some days I feel that the kitchen is like my chemistry lab. Full of smells, good , bad and the downright ugly. I dont know how many of you have been in chemistry labs, some days it is the hydrogen sulphide ( rotten eggs the chem prof called it), then some other days there is aniline ( rotten fish I say!!!). So when the milk overflows on to the gas there is this burnt smell.When the veggies over cook and burn in the pan there is some other smell that overpowers its way into the neighbours house!!! So transition for me into the kitchen from the chem lab was no great deal.
But when I saw this movie, it brought in a new perspective to cooking. I said to myself, instead of cooking the same things over and over again, let me also try out something new everyday!!! at least one dish a day and through the year 365 new dishes ( plus or minus a few, because I may not be cooking everyday of the year).
So dear blog starting from today, it is one dish a day , from the net, from my cook books and from my own imagination too.
Eat and be Merry !!!!!!

No comments: